This is the blog of Samie Sands, author of Lockdown. There will be many great books and projects reviewed here. For more, check out thelockdown.co.uk.

Friday 2 February 2018

Not Dead Yet

Not Dead Yet (AM13 Outbreak Series Book 4) by [Sands, Samie]
The AM13 Outbreak has affected everywhere, the entire world has experienced infection.

Victims of the virus are no longer human, they've changed, become something scientifically impossible. With their loss of human function and their new lust for flesh, there’s only one word to describe them...

Zombies.

The world is divided as everyone tries to work out how to survive. Many have already lost their lives in the fight, but there are still a few who are not dead...

Yet!


Sample
XINJIANG

“Mao? Mao?”
I can hear someone calling me, but I don’t even look around to see who it is. My eyes are fixed on the skies above. Something is coming, and as soon as it hits everything will end.
Weirdly, knowing that the end is coming doesn’t make me want to run, and that’s mainly because the bright light in the sky is somehow beautiful. It’s destructive, it’ll wipe out everyone and everything in its path, but right now the glow is intoxicating.
It’s not unknown that things between us and the Russian’s have been fraught recently, that there were negotiations that fell apart at some point in the proceedings, I guess it was inevitable that something like this would eventually happen, but the reality is so much more terrifying.
From what we’ve all heard—from various biased sources, of course, I’m not naïve enough to believe that we ever get the whole truth—the Russian’s had a cure for all of this, but they were cautious about giving it to the Chinese because they think the virus started here. It didn’t, we saw it broadcast in other countries before there was any sign of it here, but the rumors caused issues.
Then things took a really bad turn, and to be honest I think a lot of us have been waiting for the war to begin.
I suppose, in a way, this is a good thing really. If the nuke was to hit a little further away, it would kill us slowly, burning up our insides, bursting our organs, pulling us limb-from-limb. A death by radiation poisoning would be worse than the people who suffered the virus has experienced.
No, a quick blast of pain before the end of life as we know it is better. No death would be the perfect option of course, but that choice has been taken from us now.
Still, it’s a shame to die now, just as it seemed like we were coming out of the worst of it. The jiangshi are finally dying out, the virus is seemingly losing it’s grip on humanity, taking us to a point where we could restart civilization again. It’s a shame to lose now when we’ve all fought so hard to be here. We’ve all done things we aren’t proud of to survive, and it seemed that we were just about to get our reward for that. Our prize for surviving the worst thing that’s ever happened to humanity.
Not that there’s any point in worrying about what’s happened, and what could’ve been now. In a moment, that thing’s going to hit, and it’ll all be done. The bright light will become an explosion and that’ll be the end.
“Mao? Mao?”
I can’t stop looking, I can’t stop staring at the one thing that’s going to kill me. Someone still wants my attention, but I can’t give it.
That has it. Any minute now...
It descends rapidly, people scream and run as if that’s going to make any difference, but I remain still, just staring. A smile even manages to work its way onto my cheeks. This isn’t ideal, I never wanted to go in this way, but at least now I can be freed from the inner torment I feel about all the people I’ve lost. Maybe now I’ll be reunited with them, and I can ask some of them for forgiveness for what I had to do to keep myself alive.
I can’t fight death, not now, so I might as well embrace it.
It connects with the ground. It takes only a split second for the intense heat to rise up, to consume me, but the grin remains on my lips up until the very last moment of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cincopa Gallery

...