This is the blog of Samie Sands, author of Lockdown. There will be many great books and projects reviewed here. For more, check out thelockdown.co.uk.

Monday 19 June 2017

AM13 Shorts: Quarantine Sample

AM13 Corrected - High Resolution
"No, no, I'm not showing any signs of the virus, it's just a migraine, I think."
Please don't start thinking that I'm infected, I know how you treat the virus victims!
"Okay, Katie. Thank you for letting me know. Hopefully we'll see you tomorrow."
"Most definitely."
As I hang up the phone, ice cold relief courses through my veins. After another night of sitting up, reading, and generally just racking my brain, I just can't face it. Plus, I need more time with these pictures to work out what I'm going to do next. It's all well-and-good looking through all this stuff until my eyes hurt, but I'm no further along with my ideas. I still don't know how I'm going to save the world.
But first, before I can do any more thinking, I need to sleep. Luckily the exhaustion did make sound terrible on the phone so I'm sure I pulled off my lie, but now I need to get rid of it. I want to wake up with a clearer head.
I stagger into my bedroom and crash onto my bed, pressing my face into the mattress as I go. It won't be long until the blackness of sleep comes for me, I just hope that it's peaceful and I actually wake up rested...
***
Where's that alarm coming from? What's that smell? Why do I feel more afraid than I've ever done before in my life?
I try to move my head but it feels stuck, like I still have the crick in it from sleeping across my desk. But if I can't move then how am I supposed to find out what's making me feel this way? Is something pinning me down?
My heart rate kicks up a notch, I can almost feel the tight knot of panic starting to coil in my chest. I hate this feeling, the lack of control, it reminds me of when I learned that Mom was sick. All I wanted to do was help her, and with my medical knowledge I should've been able to. But of course, I couldn't. There was nothing that I could do to stop her from dying.
Ever since then, I've craved control.
"Help me," I rasp. Why is my mouth so dry? "Someone, please!"
"Katie." The voice that answers me sounds weirdly hollow, and also a bit like...my mom.
Not that it could possibly be my mom, of course. I haven't gone crazy just yet!
"Help me...whoever you are, I'm stuck."
The ghostly voice doesn't answer me. All I can hear now is growling. The thick smoggy scent of death wafts up my nostrils only freaking me out even more. I recognize that smell, it reminds me of them. The infected that I'm trying to save.
I can almost feel them around me, they're coming for me. I don't know how I know it, but I can sense that this isn't a friendly visit. They haven't come to say 'thank you so much for trying to save us from death'. No, they want me.
Course, paper-like skin brushes against my thigh making me jump. I try to scream, to get the attention of the person I could hear before, but my throat's closed over now. I can't even breathe, never mind yell.
I gasp, I suck in air as fast as I can, but it isn't enough. I'm dying, I'm going to die right here not knowing what's going on around me. They are going to kill me.
Oh God, no. I squeeze my eyes shut and beg. Not like this, please... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cincopa Gallery

...