This is the blog of Samie Sands, author of Lockdown. There will be many great books and projects reviewed here. For more, check out thelockdown.co.uk.

Sunday 19 June 2016

My Interview...

ssands2
1.What got you into writing / what made you sit down and actually start something? 
I always wanted to start writing; I just never had the courage to do so. Over time the idea for Lockdown kept rolling over and over in my mind until I felt like I had to write it down, and it just went from there...  
2.What is a usual writing day like for you, how is it structured?  
I have a lot of responsibilities – just like most other writers – so my writing day can be a little chaotic! I get to it whenever I have time, there’s definitely no structure – it can be early in the morning, or late at night. 
3.Do you get writers block? If so, how do you overcome it?
Yes, and it’s horrible when it strikes. I get over it by doing everything else that needs to be done, jobs that I’ve been putting off due to lack of time, so by the time I get back to it, I have nothing else plaguing my mind.  
4.Are you a plotter or pantser when it comes to writing a story? 
I always have a rough plot, but I learnt early on that what I think I want to happen, often changes once I start writing and I get to know my characters a little better.

5.Are you traditionally or self-published? 
The AM13 Outbreak Series is traditionally published by Limitless Publishing, but I also have some self published anthologies.  
6. What was the publishing process like for you? Any advice to aspiring authors? 
The publishing process is a fun one! It’s certainly an experience if you’ve never done it before. I would advise aspiring authors not to give up, every author gets rejected, you just have to keep on trying! 
7.What has been your highlight since becoming a published author? 
People emailing me who have loved my books – there isn’t a better feeling as an author than that!
8.Can you share a little of your most recent book with us, including genre and targeted audience?  
The AM13 Outbreak series has very recently been published, and it’s a NA zombie themed series, but it isn’t your typical gore and violence. The characters are not the usual hero of apocalyptic books. There is the girl-next-door type, the OCD sufferer, and the zombie author...just to name a few.
9.What tip would you give to new authors when trying to build a fan-base / get followers and market their books? (What to do and what not to do.) 
It’s trial and error, but one of the best things is to talk about things other than just your books. Connect with people, talk to them about what they’re doing. Competitions can be successful too.
 10.How long on average does it take you to write a book? 
It takes me a while because I like to do numerous drafts to get it right. Often, once I’ve written something and I come back to it after a break, I notice lots of things that I missed the first (or second time) around.
 11.Tell us about the book cover/s, how the designing came about, whether you had much input etc.  
I gave my ideas to the designer, and Deranged Doctor Designs did an amazing job with that. What they came up with was even better than what I had in my imagination.
 12.Apart from writing, what do you do in your spare time? 
My hobbies include reading, swimming and watching anime.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cincopa Gallery

...