This is the blog of Samie Sands, author of Lockdown. There will be many great books and projects reviewed here. For more, check out thelockdown.co.uk.

Tuesday 1 July 2014

Terror Train

terror-train

Blurb: Terror Train is the creative brainchild of A. Henry Keene. The train leaves the station noir-style in New York and travels across the country until it stops in a California of the future. In between it stops in several states including Tennessee, Missouri, and Louisiana. At every stop there is a different tale of murder, ghosts, demons, and other horrors. There are tales of love gone wrong, twisted demon-possessed trains, a vampire story that is nothing like any vampire story you've ever read, and many other fun terrors. And the legendary William F. Nolan has humbled us with his gracious contribution. Along with the stories there are wonderful poems spread throughout this collection by some truly talented poets. Trust me, this is a ride you won't soon forget.


Guest Post by the Editors – A. Henry Keene and Krista Clark Grabowski

Henry Keene
In the days before bank-breaking tuition rates, I studied at the University of Louisville where I matriculated degrees in Communication, English, and Art History. I made significant progress in post-baccalaureate work in Humanities before my wings melted, and I returned to Earth to study Culinary Arts at Sullivan University. I now support himself and his family through his work as a chef.
A life-long fan of horror, I recall with delight the campy onscreen shenanigans of “Kingdom of Spiders,” the realistic horrors of “The Exorcist,” and the gruesome gore of “Demons” that scarred my youth and warped my mind. My favorite horror films are “Alien,” “Burnt Offerings,” and “Hellraiser.”
Essentially a surrealist, I stumbled into the field of horror with my first publications in James Ward Kirk anthologies. Since then, J.W.K. has published a collection of my early prose pieces entitled “The Crooked Closet” and a novella called “Meridiana.”
As a writer, I have striven to meld genre specific elements with broader cultural concerns, especially violence against women and man’s struggle with his sexual drives.
As an anthologist, I, in partnership with Krista Clark Grabowski, have compiled and edited “Terror Train.” This collection takes the reader on a journey to explore not only the place of the train in popular imagination but also the genre of horror as it plays out by region.
As a surrealist, I proudly proclaim that the inspiration for “Terror Train” came from a dream. Once the notion took shape and the partnership with Krista was formed, the project came to life and quality work from excellent artists came rolling in. It was just waiting to be done. It was in the air, the zeitgeist.
The highlight of submissions was receiving a message from Mr. William F. Nolan to offer his classic tale “Lonely Train A Comin’.” Having the Nolan piece in the Table of Contents has provided such a thrill to our contributors. We are so pleased to have been able to do it for them.
Working on this project has been pure joy from beginning to end. I am thankful to everyone involved, especially the writers and poets, who have responded so enthusiastically.

Krista Clark Grabowski
I too attended the University of Louisville, where I earned a degree in Finance that I have never used. I started working for a major health insurance company before I graduated and have been in the industry ever since, over 20 years now.
I loved reading from the time I was a child. In high school and college I devoured anything I could get my hands on that was written by Stephen King. My taste in books, like my taste in music, covers a wide range. I enjoy classics like Charles Dickens and F. Scott Fitzgerald. I enjoy Maeve Binchy, John Irving, and Neil Gaiman along with other bestselling modern-day authors. In recent years I have had the pleasure of reading the work of some very talented independent authors and it has become a passion.
I have one published story - “Daddy's Girl”, which was published in an anthology published by JWK Fiction in 2013. It was following the publication of that anthology that I had an opportunity to assist Mr. Kirk with some editing needs and discovered that I really enjoyed it. I have since done some additional editing work for him and when A. Henry came to me with his Terror Train idea I was thrilled to be part of the project.
I loved every second of putting together this anthology. Mr. Keene's idea caught on and very soon people were jumping onboard, eager to be part of it. We had fun with the authors involved in this project and we met some wonderful new people. It has truly been a collaborative effort every step of the way. I would do it all again in a second.
I am on the editing team for another JWK Fiction anthology and am also working on finishing up the first in a series of dark fiction/crime short stories. I am so lucky to have found a place where I can do what I love.
Terror Train is a wonderful collection full of great stories and poetry. You'll be happily frightened as you ride the rails. As one of the author's recently said “It's a ride that's to die for”


Review: Wow what an amazing collection of terrifying horror stories from a selection of very talented authors. They are all so great in their own way - I couldn't possibly pick a favourite. From murder and revenge to mystery and monsters, this book really has it all. A must have for horror fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cincopa Gallery

...