This is the blog of Samie Sands, author of Lockdown. There will be many great books and projects reviewed here. For more, check out thelockdown.co.uk.

Thursday 3 July 2014

Author Spotlight

I'm the Triplicity Publishing author spotlight this month! Read the whole interview here: http://tri-pub.com/

Do you remember the first story you ever wrote?

The first story I ever wrote to completion was Lockdown. Before that, I’d started a few but lost motivation part way in. Lockdown was the first story of mine that didn’t seem to run out of steam.

What is your writing process?

I always start with a basic idea, knowing the beginning and the end but only parts of the middle and then I just sit and write. The first draft is very basic, but gives me a general idea of what will happen and what needs to be done. I’ll go over this a few more times, filling in and editing parts – leaving a bit of time between each draft. I find going back to the story having had a break, with fresh eyes helps me pick up plot holes and other mistakes I might not have noticed otherwise.

Do you remember the first story you ever read, and the impact it had on you?

The first book I remember having a massive impact on me was ‘Noughts and Crosses’ by Malorie Blackman. The concept behind the book is all about racism, but the thing that struck me so deeply about it, is the way the plot starts to descend slowly, with the characters lives unraveling. Then suddenly it spirals rapidly and out of control coming to an explosive ending. It’s one that I couldn’t stop thinking about after I’d finished reading it.

What are your five favorite books, and why?

1)      You’re The One That I Want by Giovanna Fletcher because it’s a love story, but it strays away from the plotline other chick lits follow. I think this makes it very brave and so interesting to read.
2)      Outpost by Adam Baker is a zombie/monster book which is so unique in its content and writing style, it absolutely blew me away when I read it.
3)      The Declaration by Gemma Malley is a cool dystopian novel which looks at what would happen if we found a way to cure all illness and extend our lives indefinitely. I like the way she deals with a topic that I’m sure most people would assume to be a positive thing.
4)      Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella is a hilarious, quirky ghost story which I could read over and over again. The characters are so lovable, and it’s my favourite light-hearted read.
5)      Thirteen by Kevin Hall is a really cool collection of horror stories. Once I started reading this I couldn’t put it down, each story is unique but the writing style is thematic and strong....

Read the rest at http://tri-pub.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cincopa Gallery

...