This is the blog of Samie Sands, author of Lockdown. There will be many great books and projects reviewed here. For more, check out thelockdown.co.uk.

Tuesday 24 June 2014

Author Josh Walker

10446383_10152505200466182_739030901_n
1. Can you tell me a bit about yourself and your book?
Sure, I’m a Wyoming native. I love football, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Final Fantasy, and anything else fantasy. When I was fresh out of High School, I moved to Chile and will always consider Chile as my second home. I have since married and have two amazing kids. Every day is an adventure with them. My book – Luke Coles and the Flower of Chiloe -- is a Young Adult/Teen Urban Fantasy novel. I based almost every single piece of my story on real folktales, myths, and history throughout world. In the story, I follow Luke as he discovers his place in this world. It has a little bit of everything. I’ve seen it compared to Dr. Who, Supernatural, Percy Jackson, Pirates of the Carribean, Highlander, Harry Potter, and even some romance titles.

2. What is the inspiration behind your work?
There were two major inspirations for this book. First were the three months I was on Chiloe Island. It is an island known for its witchcraft and I saw some things there that I still can’t explain: lights flying overhead, unexplained voices, and other circumstantial evidence that supports a rich lore of myths which are told throughout the island. My second inspiration for the book is my wife.

3. What makes your book stand out from other stories in a similar genre?
The way my story is told is different than any books I have seen in any genre. The story occurs over 150-200 years and the book does not present those years in any sort of a chronological order. The way the first half was written was inspired by storytelling more commonly found in eastern traditions. The second half was written more in a western style. I really wanted to not just combine the world’s myths and religions in this book, but also the way they present a story.
4. Can you describe your writing style in three words?
Easy to read.
5. Who would you like to play your main characters in the film?
I’ve never really thought about that. The two main characters are Luke and Flor. For Luke, offhand, I would say Jake Gyllenhaal. Flor would need to be a Latina with a lot of spunk and toughness…maybe Naya Rivera.

6. Do you base your characters/plot events on yourself or anyone you know?
I think a little bit of me goes into every character, even the evil ones. Luke is the closest to me that I will ever write. As such, it only made sense for me to give Flor some of my wife’s qualities.

7. What is next for you?
I am working on a few things right now. I have the second Luke Coles written, albeit in rough draft form. I am still trying to rework a few plot points and Chapters that I wasn’t happy with. I have two anthology stories that I have written. They will be released later this year. They are both anthologies organized by TJ Weeks. One is his annual Holiday Horror Stories and the other is called Monster Diaries. The biggest focus for me right now is the Forgotten Places project. It is an anthology that I am working on with many talented authors. We are going to donate all the earnings from this anthology to a children’s non-profit. We have been discussing where the money should go and it looks like it will end up going to St. Jude’s. There are a few other things I am up to: translating a Chilean comic to English, working on a fantasy novel prequel to Luke Coles that takes place in a fantasy world, managing the Righteous Province Creations group that networks authors, agents, publishers, graphic designers, and editors. I really have so much on my plate right now that my only complaint is I’m sad I can’t finish it all at once.

8. Where can people find out more about you?
I have three main places I post information. 1. www.joshwalkerbooks.com 2. www.facebook.com/lukenecoles 3. Twitter @elsharkwalker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cincopa Gallery

...